Thursday, February 11, 2016

Patron Saint of the Year (Repost)

Hello, all!  While I was messing around in the behind-the-scenes part of this blog, it appears that I have accidentally deleted my post about St. Walburga!  And so, this is sort of a rewrite of that post, since of course, I never intended to take it down.

So, a few weeks ago, I discovered this great idea on Facebook.  The premise is very simple.  At the start of the new year, some people select a saint who is to be their patron and friend for the year.  You don't get to pick by yourself, though.  I can't just say "I want Saint John Bosco, or Saint Bernadette, or Saint Joseph to be my patron this year."  Traditionally, you draw a name from a hat, and that is your saint.  The thought is that God will help draw you to the saint who can do the most good in your life.
 
With Lent upon us, this might be something to consider, as a way to strengthen your prayer life.

The article I read, (which frustratingly, I cannot find), suggested that instead of using names written on pieces of paper, you could use a site, which generates saints' names.  You can find that here.  The important thing to remember is that when you get the name of a saint, that is your saint.  There is no round 2.  Think about it this way.  This saint was chosen for you by God to be your special intercessor and friend.  And then you turn around and say "Oh, I don't think I want this saint...."  Ouch.  Talk about insulting.  Don't insult the one who has come to help you!

My patron for the year is St. Walburga.  I have included a lovely picture of her on the right-hand side of my blog, and if you click on it, you can learn more about her.  She sounds pretty amazing, actually, and I'm really looking forward to getting to know her this year.  Besides covering a multitude of intentions through her intercession (including cough, famine, and rabies), she also comes from a family of saints, which is very cool.

If you try this, tell me in the comments who your saint is :)



Saint Walburga, pray for us!  God bless you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your thoughts to our conversation!