Monday, February 9, 2015

Lent is Coming!

Lent is coming!  What are you planning on doing?

I'm sure many of you don't want to think about it yet, but Ash Wednesday is a week from this Wednesday, and it might be time to start thinking about what you want to do for your Lenten sacrifice.  It's best not to put this off until the last minute, otherwise you might end up like me a few years ago: realizing halfway through a Fat Tuesday paczki that you should be giving up something for Lent.  At this point, slightly embarrassed at being caught off guard like this, you go with the first thing that comes into your head, whether that's chocolate, alcohol, videogames, or something else entirely.

I'm not saying that it's wrong to give up something for Lent.  I mean, if you think you have a crippling addiction to alcohol, it might be time to give it up.  Or, if you think you eat too much, it might be time to reflect and avoid over-indulgence.  But, if you're just giving up chocolate just so you can say you've made a Lenten sacrifice, think about it this way: when Easter Sunday rolls around, what's the first thing you're going to do?  Most likely gorge on that thing you've been denying yourself for weeks.  Or, if you're like some of my friends, you'll be just fine, since you've been indulging every Sunday, because as they have told me many times (and I still do not believe it), "Sundays don't count as part of Lent!"

So, is it bad to give things up for Lent?  No  Lent should be about sacrifice, but really, it should be about shedding those things from your life that keep you away from God.  He is not going to care if you have a candy bar after dinner. Jesus would not slap a Snickers from Peter's hand and shout "Get behind me, Satan!"  There's nothing harmful about sweets in moderation.

For children, however, this is a great way to celebrate Lent.  By encouraging your children to give up something they love, you are teaching them discipline and sacrifice.  Perhaps you could even take it a step further: if, for example, your child likes to buy a cookie from the cafeteria at school each day, instead of buying one, have them take the 50 cents they would have spent and put it in the Rice Bowl, or in a jar for later.  At the end of Lent, they can donate it to a good cause, such as a charity that your parish is sponsoring this Lent.

"But, if I'm not giving up something, what do I do for Lent?"  This is a really good question.  To get back to my previous point, Lent should be about shedding those things that are harmful to your relationship with God.  So, instead of giving up coffee, refrain from gossip or nasty comments.  Or, you don't have to give up anything at all!  You could instead give of your time, or change your routine.  Spend an hour with the blessed sacrament each week.  Go on a retreat, join a prayer group, or help at the local soup kitchen.  Read the lives of the saints, or the writings of a Christian author.  With any luck, you'll soon find these actions have become habit forming and will last long after Lent.

That's part of what I'm doing this year.  I have several authors I would like to explore.  I'll be starting a new page on this blog dedicated to good books that I think you might like or find informative.

The second part of what I'm doing is going to involve inner focus and prayer.  I'm a very devoted Catholic, but I often feel awkward or nervous when talking about my faith with those of other faith backgrounds.  This is unfortunate, as it means I don't always get the appropriate message across.  That's part of the reason why I started this blog; I wanted a way to help spread the Gospel through a medium where I would not be wishy-washy or nervous.  So, in order to build up my faith life, I'm going to read a lot about the lives of the saints, Mary the Mother of God, and Catholic doctrines.  I'm also hoping to have a lot of good stuff to share with all of you.  Anything good that I read will be included in the recommended books page.  And anything else of value will hopefully make its way onto this blog.

In addition to all this, I'm also hoping to spend more time in quiet contemplation.  My mind really is a jumble these days, and I've found that I get nervous and flighty and have trouble concentrating on prayer.  That's why I'm going to spend at least half an hour to an hour in front of the blessed sacrament each week to help center myself.  If the mood should strike me, I might also partake of the spiritual reading I have lined up for the next few weeks.

Finally (yikes, is she ever going to stop??)  I'm going to fast.  Not every day, and maybe not every week, but I'm going to fast a couple times besides the required ones (Ash Wednesday and Good Friday).  Honestly, I hate fasting.  I'm constantly hungry and that makes me cranky and I get nasty headaches.  But, the Church only asks that I fast for two days out of the whole 365.  And Jesus fasted for 40 days and nights in the desert.  Certainly, I can go with reduced food for a few days.  But, the fasting is not just for the sake of fasting.  I'm going to be offering this sacrifice and the discomfort that come with it as a prayer for the end of abortion.  When I think of all the issues with our world, I keep coming back to abortion as the greatest of evils.  And besides, it would be incredibly selfish of me to say that my grumbling stomach is a greater suffering than what a baby goes through when it is aborted, or the physical and psychological trauma the mother experiences after the fact.  No one talks about that, only how great it was that she exercised her "choice".  But, that of course is a conversation for another time.

So, that's my Lenten goal: fasting, reading, and reflection.  I think that's pretty doable, don't you?
 
Tell me in the comments what your thoughts are for this Lenten season.  Have a book you'd like to recommend?  Tell me about it!  Lent is a time for spiritual growth and a shedding of our old ways and bad habits.  I hope you take the time to grow with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your thoughts to our conversation!